CAF Elections: Pinnick, Others Rumble In Ethiopia
The President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick is set for one the most crucial moments in his career as a football administrator.
Pinnick is vying for a seat in the CAF Executive Committee and he has been instructed by the Vice President of Nigeria, Yemi Osinbajo to cast Nigeria's vote in favour of Issa Hayatou.
Since Amos Adamu was edged out of CAF's Exco Committee, Nigeria’s attempt at a comeback has not been successful.
CAF presently has 56-member associations. 2 of them, Reunion Island and Zanzibar, are associate members with no voting powers. The 54 voting members are divided into 6 zones
This year, elections will be contested for the sole female seat; one seat each in Zones 1 to 5; and 2 seats in Zone 6.
One of such contests is between Nigeria’s Pinnick and Moucharafou Anjorin of Benin Republic in Zone 3 (West B). The tenure to serve is four years, 2017-2021.
According to the CAF's General Assembly procedure (Article 17), the first election that will be contested is for the presidency, the outcome of which usually impacts on the other elections.
FULL ELECTION LIST:
1. Election of the CAF President for the 2017-2021 cycle:
Outgoing President: Issa Hayatou (Cameroon)
Candidates: Ahmad (Madagascar) and Issa Hayatou (Cameroon)
2. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle North Zone (Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia):
Outgoing Member: Mohamed Raouraoua (Algeria)
Candidates: Anwar El Tashani (Libya); Fouzi Lekjaa (Morocco) and Mohamed Raouraoua (Algeria)
3. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle West A Zone (Cap-Verde, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal, Sierra Leone):
Outgoing Member: Amadou Diakité (Mali)
Candidates: Amadou Diakité (Mali) and Hassan Musa Bility (Liberia)
4. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle West B Zone (Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Niger, Nigeria, Togo):
Outgoing Member: Anjorin Moucharafou (Benin )
Candidates: Amavu Melvin Pinnick (Nigeria) and Anjorin Moucharafou (Benin)
5. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle Central Zone (Cameroon, Central Africa, Chad, Congo, Gabon, DR Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Sao Tomé & Principe):
Outgoing Member: Adoum Djibrine (Chad)
Candidate: Adoum Djibrine (Chad)
6. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle Central-East Zone (Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda):
Outgoing Member: Magdi Shams El Din (Sudan)
Candidates: Juneido Basha Tilmo (Ethiopia); Magdi Shams El Din (Sudan); Moses Magogo (Uganda) and Suleiman Hassan Waberi (Djibouti)
7. Election of the members of the CAF Executive Committee for the 2017 – 2021 cycle Southern Zone (Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe):
Outgoing Members: Ahmad (Madagascar) and Suketu Patel (Seychelles)
Candidates: Danny Jordaan (South Africa); Frans Mbidi (Namibia); Rui Eduardo Da Costa (Angola) and Suketu Patel (Seychelles)
8. Female candidates
Candidates: Isha Johansen (Sierra Leone) and Lydia Nsekera (Burundi)
9. Election of the African representative for the FIFA Council for the cycle 2017 – 2021
(a.) Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish Category
Candidates: Hani Abo Rida (Egypt) and Tarek Bouchamoui (Tunisia)
(b.) Francophone Category
Candidates: Augustin Sidy Diallo (Cote d’Ivoire) and Omari Constant Selemani (RD Congo)
(c.) Anglophone Category
Candidates: Kalusha Bwalya (Zambia); Kwesi Nyantakyi (Ghana) and Leodegar Tenga (Tanzania)
(d.) Open Category - 3 positions to fill with at least one female member
Candidates: Almamy Kabele Camara (Guinea); Chabur Goc (South Sudan); Danny Jordaan (South Africa) and Lydia Nsekera (Burundi)