They say once bitten twice shy.

The president is still recovering from the goof of Dead Men Who Told Tales and cannot afford to have his competence scrutinised again less than a week after.

Buhari seems not to be taking any chances after the scandal that rocked the judiciary in 2017.

He has ordered background checks on Federal High Court and Court of Appeal judges nominated and forwarded to him by the National Judicial Council last year.

It was further learnt that the President might have approved the compulsory retirement of Justices Adeniyi Ademola and Segun Tokode, both of the Federal High Court as recommended by the council.

A presidential source who spoke on Sunday on condition of anonymity, said the two steps are in line with the present administration’s anti-corruption stance.

ALSO READ: PDP Leaders Mounting Pressure On Dankwambo To Run For President

He said although the President believed that the NJC would have done due diligence before putting forward the judges for approval, there is the need for him to do some checks to ensure that no mistake was made.

It was further learnt that the nation’s security agencies such as the Department of State Services and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission are involved in the checks.

The source added that the development did not, in any way, mean that the President had refused to approve the judges’ appointments.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

ALSO WATCH: Lagos Conductor Fights His Passenger