#BounceExclusive: Planned Demolition Of Structures In Oshodi Postponed
There was temporary relief for owners of structures marked for demolition along the Murtala Muhammed International Airport Road.
The government failed to carry out its planned demolition of the structures on Wednesday.
The demolition was to pave way for the construction of the 10-lane Oshodi-Murtala Muhammed International Airport Road.
The road has become a nightmare for motorists because of the terrible traffic congestion.
But the buildings to be demolished have been identified and marked.
Several properties on both sides of the road between Oshodi and the Murtala Muhammed International Airport. would be affected.
A top government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity had revealed the planned demolition to Bounce News on Monday.
He said the demolition is taking place after the government completes proper verification of buildings to be affected.
Bounce News investigation, which involved manual counting of structures lining both sides of the road, revealed that over 80 properties may be affected with the planned reconstruction work.
The design of the project includes the reconstruction and expansion of the existing carriage to a three-lane Expressway on both directions, construction of two-lane Service Road in both directions, construction of Ramp Bridge to provide a U-turn from Ajao Estate to Airport, construction of a flyover at NAHCO/Toll Gate and drainage works.
Others include the removal of the existing pedestrian bridge at Ajao Estate and construction of pedestrian bridges at Ajao Estate and NAHCO/Hajj Camp, construction of slip road to provide access to Ajao Estate, construction of lay-bys and installation of street lights, among others.
Bounce News investigation further revealed that the owners and occupiers of these structures were not even aware of the planned demolition on Wednesday.
Some of them who spoke with our correspondent on Tuesday feigned ignorance of the demolition even though they admitted that statutory notices were served on them.
The notices were said to have been given about a month ago.
Findings showed that while some owners of structures have complied with the government’s directive, some have not taken it seriously.
It was gathered that Governor Ambode had earlier agreed with the owners/occupiers of buildings during a consultative stakeholders forum to remove structures that may likely impede the right of way and construction works for the project.
Ambode, who was represented by the Commissioner for Waterfront Infrastructure Development, Engr. Adebowale Akinsanya said the government convened the meeting to address the anxiety of stakeholders on the project.
It is not clear yet when the demolition would now take place but the top government official told our correspondent on Wednesday that it would be very soon.
Had the planned demolition gone ahead on Wednesday, it would have come just 48 hours after the state government embarked on a similar exercise in the Agege area of the state
The government is constructing a fly over bridge in Pen Cinema to ease traffic in the area.
Also on Tuesday, residents of Ishawo in Ikorodu watched helplessly as their houses were demolished by government officials .
The government is planning to expand the road into a dual carriage way and link it to the Lagos/Ibadan express road.
The state government has in the past months been leveling and destroying structures and shanties in the city.