Boko Haram: Thousands Cut Off From Aid In Northeast Nigeria
Things are getting uglier for residence of northeast Nigeria.
Attacks by cut-throat terror group, Boko Haram and Islamic State West Africa, ISWA has displaced tens of thousands of people in region, cutting them off from humanitarian aid.
The United Nations said on Friday that this new reality got complicated following a militant attack earlier this week.
The town of Rann in Borno state was overrun by Islamist militants on Monday evening before being re-captured by the Nigerian military the next day.
About 76,000 Nigerians who had fled fighting were living in the town and dependent on aid agencies for food and health services including nutrition therapy for starving children, said the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
Since the attack, humanitarians have been unable to access Rann by either road or helicopter, with no idea when they might be able to return, said OCHA spokeswoman Samantha Newport.
“The attacks in Rann, that are increasingly frequent, are having a devastating impact on the civilians taking refuge in this isolated town and severely affecting our ability to deliver life-saving aid to women, men and children in need,” said Edward Kallon, the U.N. humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria.
Don't forget to share this story with your friends.