Nigeria’s cut-throat Islamic terrorists have struck again.

This time round, they killed 8 soldiers and one civilian.

The attack occurred on Tuesday evening, about 25 kilometres from the Yobe state capital, Damaturu.

Yobe State Police commissioner, Abdulmalik Sumonu, told Reuters by phone that the attack also left five civilians injured.

A witness said the attackers, likely members of Boko Haram, “took the soldiers by surprise.”

“I saw soldiers carrying eight of their dead colleagues in their vehicle,” Ali Khali, a member of a vigilante group known as the Civilian Joint Task Force who survived the attack, told Reuters by phone.

Also Read: TRAGIC! Suicide Bomber Kills 13 People In Maiduguri

Recall that on Sunday, a suicide bomber suspected to a member of the sect killed 13 people in the northeast city of Maiduguri.

A police official who confirmed the casualty figures to Reuters, described the attack as the deadliest in over a month as the conflict with Boko Haram stretches into its ninth year.

This latest attack is an indication that the conflict is showing little sign of slowing, despite assurances by the government and military that Boko Haram is on the verge of defeat.

Last week, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs warned that “attacks against civilians - including suicide bombings in and near internally displaced person camps - continue to be a major concern.” 

Also watch: Armed Robber Follows Friend To Steal Out Of Pity But Pays The Price Alone