At Least 10,000 Nigerians Forced Back To Northeast From Cameroon - UN
A UN humanitarian report said on Wednesday that at least 10,000 Nigerians returned to Rann town after fleeing into Cameroon to escape repeated attacks over the past few months.
The returnees were among 40,386 civilians who had fled four attacks on the town of Rann since December, according to the report.
All those who fled were ordered to return to northeast Nigeria, the aid agency Medecins Sans Frontieres, MSF said earlier Wednesday.
“Reports from sources on the ground indicate that hundreds more are en route to Rann from Cameroon (8 km) by foot,” the UN report said.
“All these people are in dire need of humanitarian assistance, including shelter, food and safe water.”
Earlier this month the militant group Boko Haram killed at least 60 people in Rann after it was abandoned by the military, Amnesty International and security sources said.
That attack came two weeks after Boko Haram overran the town, driving out Nigerian soldiers and signalling the group’s re-emergence as a force capable of capturing army bases.
Last month Cameroon was criticised by the UN refugee agency for sending 9,000 people back to Rann and refusing them asylum, breaching the international principle of “non-refoulement” of refugees, Reuters reports.
The U.N. humanitarian report referred to Rann residents who had sought sanctuary in Cameroon as “internally displaced people” rather than “refugees”, despite the fact that they had crossed an international border.
Don't forget to share this story with your friends.