Aregbesola Reveals What He Will Do To His Successor
The Governor of Osun State, Rauf Aregbesola, has reiterated his resolve to produce a successor from the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) in the forthcoming gubernatorial election in the state.
The second term tenure of the governor ends on November 26, 2018, after winning an election for another 4-year term on August 9, 2014.
Speaking at his interactive session with the media and the public tagged “OgbeniTillDayBreak” on Saturday in Osogbo, Aregbesola said he is not leaving the state but joining hands with the next governor to continue with the path of development laid by his administration.
The Governor posited that rather than leave the state, he will always be around to offer suggestions on how best government should be run.
He said despite the fact that he has just 200 days more to spend as the chief executive of the state, concerted efforts will be put in place to put finishing touches on his legacy projects.
“I’m not leaving the state of Osun after the expiration of my tenure. My successor will be better than I am. I won’t leave him, I will be behind the scenes offering him support.”
“We have 200 days left in office and we intend to make the best use of the time to further better the lot of the Osun people. We are not done with our plan to further develop Osun. There is still a lot more we want to do.”
The Governor of Osun added that “the reason we borrowed for infrastructural development and not for investment is simple. In a liberal economy like ours, government has no business doing business, the responsibility of government is to provide enabling environment for businesses to thrive.”
Ogbeni Aregbesola also insisted that none of his programmes have failed, according to him “none of our programs have failed. It is possible that you do not have the right information.”
The governor explained that his government did not promise automatic employment into the state civil service for the engaged 40,000 O’YES Youths, but creating a platform for them to be self-reliant and gainfully employed.
His words “We never promised to employ all 40k participants of OYES. Let us be factual, where would government fix them into. What we promised was to create opportunities for the best of them in government and outside of government which we have continued to do up till today.”
On the proposed MKO Abiola International Airport, the governor admitted that the over N60 billion project concessioned late last year to a private consultancy firm, identified as AWOL International Limited has failed.
Aregbesola declared “simply put, concessionaire of MKO Abiola International Airport in Ido-Osun has failed”.
The Osun State governorship election is slated for September 22, 2018.
WATCH: Nigerians speak about Buhari's second term plan