Abducted Epe Students: Lagos Refuses To Negotiate With Kidnappers
The Lagos State government is banking on security agencies to ensure the release of the six abducted pupils of Igbonla Model College, Epe.
The government on Monday, during a meeting with the parents of the pupils, said it would not deal with any kidnapper.
This is just as the parents expressed anxiety over the abductors’ refusal to re-establish contacts since Saturday when they called and demanded N1bn.
It had been reported that the gunmen stormed the school premises at about 6am on Thursday, three days after writing the school authorities, informing them about the attack.
Also read: 6 Students Kidnapped In Epe
They broke the hostel doors, seized 10 Senior Secondary School pupils and led them to the shore where their boat was parked.
After profiling their family backgrounds, four pupils were released, while the assailants whisked away the remaining six pupils, identified as Peter Jonah, Isiaq Rahmon, Adebayo George, Judah Agbausi, Pelumi Philips and Farouq Yusuf.
The kidnappers had called some parents of the victims on Saturday, demanding N400m each from two parents, while two others were asked to pay N100m each. They told the parents to meet with the school authorities and the state government for the payment of the ransoms.
But a two-hour meeting between the parents and the school authorities was deadlocked on Sunday and rescheduled for Monday as the former accused the government of indifference.
Although the parents were not willing to disclose the outcome of the Monday meeting, an official confided in our correspondent that the government would not negotiate with the kidnappers.
The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, ASP Olarinde Famous-Cole said rescue operations are ongoing.