8 Things You Should Know About Oyo Governor-Elect, Seyi Makinde
The candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Seyi Makinde, has won the Oyo State governorship election.
He will be managing the affairs of the southwest state for the next four years after defeating the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Adebayo Adelabu.
Engr. Seyi Makinde polled 515,621 votes to emerge winner while Adelabu, the anointed candidate of the outgoing governor, Abiola Ajimobi polled 357,982 votes to place second.
As Oyo people prepare for a new era, here is a quick glance at the profile of the soon-to-be-sworn-in governor.
1. Engr. Oluwaseyi Abiodun Makinde was born on December 25, 1967 into the family of late Pa. Olatunbosun Makinde(a teacher turned an accountant) and Mrs Abigail Makinde of Aigbofa Compound, Oj'aba, Ibadan.
2. He had his Primary education at St. Paul Primary School and St. Micheal Primary School both in Yemetu, Ibadan.
His secondary education was at Bishop Philips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan.
3. He is an Akokite. In 1985, he gained admission to read Electrical Engineering at University of Lagos.
4. Had his mandatory National Service (NYSC) at Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC). Pupil Engineer from 1990-1992.
5. From 1992 to 1997, he was a Field Engineer (Eket Operation) for Rebold International Limited. He was later appointed a field manager in the company.
After a meritorious work from the cradle to the top in various departments, Engr. Oluwaseyi Makinde established Makon Engineering Limited and Technical Services (METS) in 1997.
6. He had various training and education within and outside the shore of Nigeria. They include; Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas. University of Kent, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Lagos Business School.
7. Politically, as ANPP candidate, he lost 2007 Oyo South Senatorial District seat to Sen.Kamoru Adedibu of PDP. However, he was denied the ticket in 2011 but was given chance to contest again in 2015 Oyo governorship race under the SDP which he lost to the incumbent Governor (Sen. Abiola Ajimobi).
Nevertheless, because of his unrelenting efforts and humanitarian gestures, as a PDP candidate, he contested and won the 2019 Oyo governorship race.
8. He is married. His wife – Tamunominini with three children.
VIDEO: APC Thugs Broke My Head Because I Support Adeleke Ademola