6 Things You Don't Know About Abdulsalami Abubakar
One man whose name warms Nigerians' hearts when it is mentioned is General Abdulsalami Abubakar.
He was born on June 9, 1942. He turned 75 on Tuesday.
Nigerians know him as one man that made sure democracy returned by handing over power to former President Olusegun Obasanjo on May 29, 1999.
But there are a few things that you should know about him too.
1. He took over office four days to his birthday on June 9, 1998. One of the greatest birthday gifts he could ever dream of.
2. The highly referenced 1999 Nigerian Constitution was adopted during his time.
3. A movie ‘Pray the Devil Back to Hell’ portrayed his role in the peace deal between Liberia’s Charles Taylor and Opposition rebels.
4. He is the author of a book (1998) Nigeria: A new beginning.
5. The highly revered Independent National Electoral Commission which was once headed by, Professor Attahiru Jega, was established by him.
6. He was sued for alleged involvement in the death of 1993 president-elect Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola.