5 Things You Don’t Know About Tinubu’s New God-son, Sanwo-Olu
Many in Lagos would argue that the battle for the crown of the state has been won and lost.
The self-acclaimed kingmakers may have just blessed the head of the hitherto unknown Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Bola Tinubu's anointed.
If you are, like many in Lagos, who have been wondering who he is, here are 5 things you need to know about APC's choice.
1. Sanwo-Olu Is A True Son Of The Soil: The Lagos governorship candidate was born in Lagos Island five years after Nigeria gained independence, specifically on June 25, 1965. That means he clocked 53 years June this year.
He is said to have had a fairly good upbringing, in the midst of a well-groomed Christian family. He is also said to occasionally attend Mountain of Fire And Miracles Ministries.
2. The Man Is Well Read: The man, Babajide Sanwo-Olu is well educated. He holds a Bachelor of Science and master’s degree in Surveying from the University of Lagos as well as a master’s in business administration, an MBA from Lagos Business School and another MBA from London Business School.
He also an almunus of Kennedy Institute of Government in US where he got trained in government administration and civil responsibilities.
3. He Was A Career Banker: Sanwo-Olu started out as a banker. Between 1994 and 1997, he served as Treasurer at former Lead Merchant Bank Plc.
Sanwo-Olu was also Head, Foreign Money market and Deputy General Manager at one of Africa’s biggest banks, the United Bank for Africa.
He was also the Deputy General Manager, Divisional Head, at First Inland Bank, Plc (now First City Monument Bank).
Also Read: Ambode OUT! APC NWC Backs Lagos Primary
4. He Has Worked For Lagos Government Since 2003: You read that right. Sanwo-Olu has been in government since 2003. His foray into public life started in 2003 when the then Deputy Governor, Femi Pedro appointed him his Special Adviser on Corporate Matters.
Sanwo-Olu would later become acting Commissioner, Economic Planning and Budget.
In 2007, towards the tail end of Tinubu's administration, Sanwo-Olu was appointed Commissioner for Commerce and Industry.
And between 2007 and 2015, Sanwo-Olu served as Babatunde Fashola’s Commissioner for Establishments, Training and Pensions.
Even in this government headed by incumbent governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, Sanwo-Olu serves in it as the Managing Director of Lagos State Property Development Company.
5. He Is Also A Businessman: Besides a career in the banking sector and the government, Sanwo-Olu is also a businessman.
He was Chairman of Baywatch Group Limited– a multifaceted company with interests in construction, property development and human capital development; First Class Group Limited, a cooling, power and maintenance solutions provider, among others.
Other companies where he is said to have interest and served either as board member or chairman include: PowerCap consulting, Caverton Offshore Services Group, Light Level Nigerian Limited, Wow! Interiors and Beryl Shelter – a real estate coy.
Love this article? Share it.