5 Things Every Parent Must Confirm Before Enrolling Your Child In Any School
Security challenges in Nigeria are on the increase and schools are also suffering from this system failure caused by corruption and mismanagement of resources.
Kidnapping, fire disaster, attacks on pupils by dissident groups have all happened in schools in Nigeria.
Now, parents have the responsibility to ask school authorities questions of security and insist that they see evidences of their claims.
To this end, there are a few things that parents should be looking out for now in schools (whether public or private) before they hand over their children to such schools.
School proprietors and managers are expected to take proactive measures that will adequately ensure security and safety of pupils.
Here are a few things parents should focus their questions on.
1. A school is expected to have a disaster management committee which should be charged with the responsibility of putting in place strategic plans for containing any form of emergency in schools.
2. Well trained drivers and teachers with a wealth of experience to handle security issues.
3. Confirm that they have regular surveillance so as to identify factors in teaching and learning environment that could expose their pupils or students to disasters.
4. The school should also have channels of information and communication to facilitate a two-way information flow in the event of disaster. When information is not adequately managed, it could worsen an emergency situation.
5. With increasing cases of kidnapping, parents should also confirm the security measures in place to ensure the safety of their children.
Parents can also raise these concerns at Parent Teachers meeting.