5 Things About Bill On Upgrade Of Auchi Poly To University
A Bill seeking upgrade of the Federal Polytechnic, Auchi, to a university passed second reading at the House of Representatives on Thursday.
It was sponsored by Johnson Oghuma who is also from Edo State where the institution is located.
After it was put before the House and deliberated, majority of the lawmakers gave their support in a voice vote.
It was subseqently referred to the Committee on Tertiary Education Services for further action.
There are a few things Mr Oghuma believes would be achieved if the bill is passed into law.
1. It will reduce the number of prospective undergraduates in Nigeria.
2. Achieving global standard in Nigeria's education has become a desire of many Nigerian government and Mr Oghuma believes the passage of the bill will be in line with global standards where polytechnics were being converted to universities to bridge the gap and harmonise standards of tertiary education.
“In developed nations like America and United Kingdom, most polytechnics have been converted to universities of technology and helped to upgrade education generally,” he told lawmakers at plenary.
3. It will help the Nigerian government achieve one of it set goals of upgrading education standards in science, engineering and technological training.
4. The law when enacted would provide the much-needed space for post-graduate studies which no polytechnic provides.
5. Youths from that catchment area would have a place to go and study to meet their various lifetime aspirations, he also told lawmakers.