Dry seasons come with a lot of good and bad but the negatives can be controlled with some discipline.

Lives were lost in the early hours of Monday, January 15, 2018 when fire broke out at a gas plant on CMD Road, Magodo area of Lagos.

Was this disaster avoidable?Yes!

According to eyewitness, the gas plant went up in flames after a spark from the exhaust pipe of a vehicle connected with the leakage in the truck supplying the gas plant.

Many homes have gone up in flames due to similar errors like leakage in cooking gas.

So, we compiled a few mistakes that must be avoided in order to keep our homes and offices safe.

1. Stop refilling your generator while its running

The problem is that when the engine becomes hot, it is highly combustible at the slightest taste of petrol.

If you must get a backup generator, please do. If you cannot afford it, then get enough fuel into the tank ahead of use.

2. Stop tweaking the electrical fittings in your house

Many times, when fire incidents are reported, you read things like “the fire was caused by an electrical fault”.

What you will not hear is that some persons were responsible for damaging the electrical setting because at this point nobody takes responsibility.

If there is an electrical fault in your house, get a professional electrician to fix it.

3. Keep your cooking gas outside

This may be expensive, especially if you live in a rented apartment and in storey buildings but the truth is that it makes everyone including neighbours safer.

You’ll never know when there is a leakage in these badly maintained gas cylinders being exchanged at point of purchase.

The use of a little candle, lighter or the ignition of any little fire can become an inferno.

4. Stop keeping appliances on when not in use

This is one of the most dangerous mistakes and sadly, one of the most common too.

There is no other way to say it. If you don’t need it, put it off.

5. Stop using phones in the kitchen

The police recently put out a warning to start arresting anyone seen using a phone at a petrol station.

If you think this about the petrol alone, you are wrong. Your cooking gas is as dangerous as petrol.

Another way to look at it is that using your phone can distract you and lead to colossal mistakes.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

WATCH: The New Age of #DigitalRunsGirls