Counter-terrorism operations aimed at totally clearing Boko Haram terrorists from Sambisa Forest have continued, but not without casualties. 

In the past week, the military successfully cleared 13 Boko Haram hideouts in the notorious forest in northeast Nigeria, but also lost 3 of its soldiers to that battle.

The loss was announced on Sunday in a statement by the spokesman for the 7 Division of the Army, Col. Kingsley Samuel.

Samuel said six soldiers were wounded during the operation while dozens of the insurgents were killed by troops.

"Troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE in conjunction with the Nigerian Air Force on Operation DEEP PUNCH has within the past one week embarked on clearance operations to dislodge Boko Haram terrorists from their camps,” he said.

According to him, troops successfully cleared the terrorists’ hideouts at Talala, Ajigin, Mangzum, Abagajiri, Kafa, Dusula, Buk, Malumti and Abulam among others.

"Furtherance of the clearance operations, the troops on Friday, 10th November 2017 while acting on credible information that the terrorists were massing up at certain camps in fringes of Sambisa forest, advanced and cleared the insurgents at Shyadawe-Angwan-Fulani, Shyadawe-Angwan-Bula-Musa and Shyadawe.

READ MORE INTERESTING STORIES FOR FREE. DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE

"The troops captured two gun trucks, three motorcycles, many bicycles and a laptop containing valuable information. They also located a vandalised and unserviceable tank in one of the camps.

"The remains of the deceased soldiers have been evacuated while those injured are receiving medical treatment at a military hospital,” Samuel said.

Residents of Borno State had in March celebrated a successful clearance of Boko Haram terrorists from Sambisa Forest.

The state government had at that time, declared December 22 of every year a Public Holiday to celebrate the defeat of the Boko Haram terrorists by the Nigerian military.

The holiday had been dubbed ‘Sambisa Memorial Day’.

 “The Borno Government will do everything possible to ensure that the patriotism of our heroes is supremely preserved and not taken for granted,” the governor Kashim Shettima said at that time.

After the military claimed Boko Haram had been chased out of the Forest, it said it would convert the bastions of the dissident Boko Haram into a training ground - which the location was used for before terrorists took over some over seven years ago.

But it seems that plan and celebration is fast being overshadowed by the continued access of the terrorists to the forest.

Also Read: What Military Wants To Turn Sambisa Forest Into

Some 9 months down the line, the story has changed and the military is pushing to totally decimate the insurgents that are pushing for the establishment of an Islamic State and an end to Western education in the region.

#AnambraDecides 2017: Meet The Candidates - Dr Tony Nwoye