Ten men were in a fishing boat on a river in Central India and they could not hold back their excitement.

They wanted to share pictures and videos on social networks, but paid less attention to the fact that the boat needed evenly distributed weight to maintain its balance and stay afloat.

Their adventure became tragic when the boat lost balance and capsized.

Three of them drowned while 5 are still missing, according to a police report.

Highest Selfie Deaths Record

Police said the accident occurred on Sunday when a group of 10 men aged between 21 and 28, were out on a fishing boat on the Vena river near the city of Nagpur.

Area police chief, Chandrashekhar Bahadure, confirmed the incident. He said the boatman rescued two of the victims and three bodies were fished out on Monday.

“During initial investigations, we found that the group was busy taking videos and selfies on the boat that is suspected to have caused the tragedy,” Bahadure said.

“Survivors say the boat lost balance and overturned when a number of men came to one side to pose for either selfies or videos.

“The men had also posted a video on Facebook minutes before the boat tipped over,” he said.

Police said divers and national disaster response force personnel were assisting in the rescue but it is unlikely there would be survivors.

India has had the highest number of selfie-related deaths, according to new research.

A study by Carnegie Mellon University found that between March 2014 and September 2016, 60% of the 127 “selfie deaths” across the world, occurred in India.

In 2016, police in Mumbai created 16 “no-selfie zones” after a university student fell into the sea and drowned while taking a photo of herself with her phone.

In Nigeria, however, the modern addiction to taking impossible photo shots has also led to the deaths of a few persons.

On July 2, two students of a university were reported to have died while taking selfies.

The students whose names were not given were both 300 level students of a university.

One was said to be a student of the department of Agriculture and Environmental Engineering, while the other was a student of the department of Project Management Technology.

The President of the Students Union Government of the university, Adeyinka Olasehinde, confirmed the incident.