Days after some oil workers were abducted in northeast Nigeria by members of the Boko Haram terrorist group, the military is making a shocking revelation.

The Nigeria Army said on Saturday that it has recovered 21 additional bodies in an operation to rescue oil exploration crew abducted by the Boko Haram insurgents in Borno.

A statement by the spokesman for the Army, Brigadier General Sani Usman, released in Maiduguri, said the army also found vehicles and various calibres of weapons in the operation.

He gave a breakdown of the bodies found.

“So far, the search and rescue team has recovered additional bodies of 5 soldiers, 11 members of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and 5 members of the exploration team.

“Contrary to reports in some media, 6 out of the 12 members of the exploration team that went out are still missing, while 1 of the NNPC [Nigerian National Petroleum corporation] staff returned to base alive,” the statement read.


It was an unfortunate incident he said, explaining that the error emanated from the statement issued by the army on the rescue mission which was not ‘deliberate’.

“The incident of 25th July 2017, where Boko Haram insurgents ambushed our troops, including members of the CJTF) escorting some staff of the NNPC as well as that of University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) on oil exploration in Yesu District of Magumeri Local Government Area of the state is unfortunate and highly regrettable.

“Most regrettable also is my earlier release on the said incident about the rescue of all NNPC Staff. The error in the statement was not deliberate,” he said.

Nigerian Army had earlier claimed it rescued all the abducted university’s personnel.

But a video released few days ago by Boko Haram counters that claim.

Also Read: Boko Haram Kidnaps Oil Exploration Team In Maiduguri

The Vice Chancellor, Professor Ibrahim Njodi, also has a different story to tell.

He said the army only brought back 5 dead bodies while 4 staff were still missing.

A video was released by Boko Haram on Friday with some individuals who claimed they were officials of the University of Maiduguri abducted by the terrorists.

According to army spokesman, the army had redoubled efforts in the pursuit of the insurgents to rescue the abducted personnel.

Insurgency is peaking again in northeast Nigeria, now shifting to abduction of oil workers.

While some school girls taken in April 2014 are still in the terrorists custody, more persons are being taken.

Suicide bombings are increasing with Internally Displaced Persons' camps the major target.

After the abduction of the oil workers, Acting President Yemi Osinbajo asked Service Chiefs to return to northeast base of military counter-terrorism operations to shore-up gains made against the terrorists groups which is fast disappearing.

Watch video of persons claiming they are officials of University of Maiduguri