President Muhammadu Buhari is carefully selecting his battles.

He has warned his media aides against “engaging or instigating attacks” against former President Olusegun Obasanjo over his recent statement on the performance of the president.

Obasanjo last week wrote a blistering open letter, accusing Buhari of incompetence and asked him not to seek re-election in 2019.

A source at the presidential villa disclosed that immediately after Obasanjo issued his statement, Buhari warned his aides “not to attack or instigate any attack on the former President”.

ALSO READ: Opposition Urges Boycott Of Presidential Election

“You can see that is why everybody is very careful on this matter. Mr. President specifically warned against engaging President Obasanjo negatively,” the aide, who declined to be named because he was not permitted to speak officially on the issue said.

The Minister of Communications, Adebayo Shittu, on Monday however attacked the former president, accusing him of “sensationalism”.

Shittu said as a Minister for two years in the administration of Buhari, he considered it a patriotic duty to speak out.

He said he was speaking personally and as an APC member, because, according to him, the government had not been talking enough.

FOR MORE FRESH STORIES, DOWNLOAD BOUNCE NEWS APP HERE 

ALSO WATCH: Lagos Conductor Fights His Passenger